With vMotion virtual machines can be migrated from one physical server to another during operation without the user recognizes any delays.
No application has to be stopped and no operating-system to be shut down.
Advantages and Features:
- hardware maintenance without down time and interruption of the ongoing business
- migration of virtual machines away from servers with malfunction or insufficient performance
- Implementation of uninterrupted and for the user transparent live migration
- continuous and automatic provisioning of virtual machines within resource pools
- execution of several migrations parallel - to optimize a virtual IT-environment continuously
- location of the ideal position for a virtual machine within seconds: with a migration assistant delivering the availability
- information in real time
- migration of each virtual machine regardless of the implemented operating system across any hardware and storage type supported by VMware ESX such as Fibre-Channel-SAN and iSCSI-SAN
- Allocation of priorities for live-migration, to ensure that mission critical virtual machines get access to the requires resources
- termination of migrations at predefined times and without extra activity needed by an software administrator
- use and update of a check list with detailed register of the migrations